Monday, July 25, 2011

Ironman

So, I have been doing a bit of research because I have been suffering pretty intensely from anemia as of late. I know, I know...a simple fix right? Just take the supplement or eat more iron rich foods! Actually, my hubby is going to the store tonight to get me a supplement to get some iron in me quick! Then I'll need to start being more responsible with the way I eat because this dizziness, heart-racing, shortness of breath, ZERO energy, and overall crappy feeling is getting OLD! I've been anemic pretty much since my early teenage years when I began to have a monthly menstrual cycle. During my research I had a thought that turned into a theory.

It’s no secret that women tend to want to eat everything in sight during that time of the month! We have cravings to eat just about everything. And it dawned on me...are we eating all kinds of things because our bodies are HUNGRY FOR IRON?! We shovel bite after bite of ice cream, chocolate, pizza, and more junk but our hunger never seems to subside. Could it be our bodies are searching and searching for that food that will give it the extra iron it needs? I think maybe!

Here is a list of iron rich foods:
·         Red meat
·         Egg yolks
·         Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards, beet leaves)
·         Beet root
·         Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
·         Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
·         Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
·         Turkey or chicken giblets
·         Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
·         Liver
·         Artichokes


Be sure to get plenty of Vitamin C so your body can more easily absorb the iron! Also, for you nursing mommies, your baby depends on most of their iron intake from your breastmilk so don't neglect this important mineral!

Health and happiness in the words of a mother!

1 comment:

  1. Good post! I had to take Iron Supplements in the hospital and for a few weeks after I had B. I didn't like it though...it made other issues,so I just try and eat food w/ Iron in it!

    Check out my FB page...I got your FB page URL but its not working...I explained why its not working on there! I hope to connect with you on FB soon! :)

    ReplyDelete